Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Taco Pizza on the Fly

Having trouble getting back into the swing of things?  Summer is over, kids back at school, a million activities going on during the week, finding time for home cooked dinners can be a challenge.  I strongly recommend taking advantage of those times when you can get a little cooking done ahead of time so you have something to work with when you and the people in your family are needing dinner.  Tortilla Soup is one of my most favorite things to eat.  When I make the Pioneer Woman's recipe, I cook the four chicken breasts but I only use two for the soup.  Now I have two pieces of flavorful cooked chicken to use for taco's, sandwiches, soup or in this case pizza.  I've never made a taco pizza nor have I ever eaten it, but I made one the other night.  And it was good! And quick to boot.
So it all begins with a little spice mix, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp salt (or something to that effect).
Rub the spice on both sides of the chicken breasts and drizzle with a touch of olive oil.  Bake at 350 for about 30 min (until cooked through).
When it's done you can shred it up and use it in any number of ways.  Half of this went into my tortilla soup and one piece went on the pizza (I think Nesly made himself a nice burrito with the fourth piece).
Now we can discuss re purposing pica de gallo.  I made this when my parents came over to watch the SU game.  It's just chopped tomatoes, red onion and cilantro, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime.  All made to taste.
I just hit the leftover pica with my immersion blender and Wah-Lah! I have sauce for my taco pizza.  I love recycling.
Get yourself a bag of pizza dough from the store or local pizza shop and spread it out on the pan.  I like to pre-cook the crust a little bit, for about 8 min or so.  I'm a freak about browning my pizza but it seems every time I make the pizza on raw dough the cheese is brown before the crust is done.  Not cool.
 

Once the crust was ready to go I spread a thin layer of refried beans on it.  It's really too bad that they look the way they do, but they really are so good.
Next, a layer of my "pizza sauce".  (I'm getting hungry, big shocker there.) Feel free to use whatever salsa you have on hand.
Next, I covered it up with shredded chicken and cheese.  I used some part-skim mozzarella and a little cheddar for that taco effect.
Once you get it all cheesed up, pop it in the oven at 400 until lightly browned.
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about!
Next, I chopped up some iceberg lettuce and sliced some tomatoes.  You may want black olives too, if you're into that sort of thing.
I covered the pizza in lettuce and tomatoes and a little taco sauce (well I made my own but the kids just love that Ortega taco sauce so that's what they used).

We had plenty of avocado slices (the kids get all freaky and fight over them so I make sure there enough) and mango never hurts either.  Actually I take that back.  Mango can hurt if you're not careful.
There you have it.  A taco pizza in no time at all. 




No comments:

Post a Comment