Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Burger to Gobble Up!

Every time I read those articles that list the Worst things to order in a chain restaurants, it makes my skin crawl a little.  It makes me wonder first of all what on earth am I eating?  And secondly, why?  Why are some of these restaurant meals so horrible?  Why are they trying to kill us?  I mean, we know that perfectly delicious food can be made at home with a lot less impact on our health.  I don't know, but it freaks me out a little.  The other night I made my favorite burger for dinner which happens to be a turkey burger.  I can't do chicken for some reason but this turkey burger is delish and easy and everyone loves them.  My burger (without the bun) comes in at 230 calories, 260 with cheese.  A cheeseburger (beef) at Applebee's, with the bun has 850!  5 Guys does not have a single burger for under 480 and that's the "little hamburger" without cheese.  You've got to have cheese! Red Robin has a turkey burger that I'll bet is not as good as mine by the way, that comes in at 493 calories with nothing on it.  And hopefully you've all sworn off that creepy McDonald's place but I can't help but mention that super lame quarter pounder with cheese has 520 calories.  So now I with arm you with a fantastic burger recipe with no questionable ingredients that you can make at home. (Trust me, the fat and sodium stats are even more impressive but I don't want to lose you before we get to the good stuff.)
We always buy the Jenny-O ground turkey because it comes with 20oz as opposed to the usual 16oz.  We like a nice meaty burger.  To the meat you'll add a little Dijon mustard, an egg white and a teaspoon of cornstarch to hold it together.
Shred up a small carrot, about 1/4 cup.
Fresh herbs are always a plus.  Here's a little parsley and a little basil (any combo you like is fine).
Chop enough to make about 1 tablespoon.
Toss it in the bowl with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp onion powder and black pepper to taste.
Mix well...
and form into 4 burger patties.
Spray your pan with a little non stick cooking spray and fry flipping once until cooked through,  adding cheese at the end until melted.
Place on a toasted bun with toppings of choice.  I had mine with spinach, tomato and dill pickle.
This very satisfying burger was served with a quinoa salad (that I want to make a few changes to before sharing) but sweet potato fries are always a great side too!

My Best Burger

20oz lean ground turkey
1 egg white (large egg)
1 tsp Dijon
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1 Tbs chopped fresh herbs
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
black pepper to taste

Mix ground turkey with all ingredients and form into 4 patties.  You may want to make ahead and let them sit in the refrigerator for 30 min to firm up.  Spray a pan with cooking spray and cook over medium heat flipping once after first side is browned, until cooked through.  Add cheese if desired until melted.  Serve with or without a bun and toppings of your choice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment