Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Feelin' Smoothie

You know when you get that little twinge of sickness coming on?  You don't have any real specific symptoms but you're just not right?  Yeah, I have that today.  Hopefully it will pass (these things often do) but just to be safe I'm having a smoothie.  Or green shake. Or whatever you want to call it.  I have my friend Melanie to thank for this addiction.  It has to be by far the healthiest thing I have ever been hooked on.  I recommend you try it.

It's never the same drink twice but always fantastic.  Today I'm throwing this pretty little assortment into the blender.

One carrot, one apple, a handful of frozen mixed berries, 4 frozen strawberries and two handfuls of kale.  I use a little orange juice to loosen as needed and throw in a few ice cubes at the end.  You may want to use spinach or chard instead of kale if you have "texture issues".  Kale can make your smoothie a little chewy.  Well, it's not that bad but the kids definitely don't like it as much as the other greens that seem to blend up smoother.

My blender is practically smoking by the time I get through one of these suckers.  When Nelsy makes us a smoothie in the morning before work, the kids have the pleasure of waking up to what sounds like a crazy jet skier on a very choppy lake.  I have your basic Cuisinart blender and it is holding up quite well for now but I do have plans to buy a Vitamix when this one bites the dust.  Of course we did just book a trip to Disney, so the Vitamix is going to wait a while.

I swear it tastes so much better than it looks!  And how else can you fit this many servings of fruit and veg in one day.  This batch actually made two pints but since the kids aren't home yet I'm going to drink it myself.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment