Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese (is better than Valentines)


Seriously, can't we just show how we love and care for each other every day?  I'm so glad that Nelsy and I are on the same page when it comes to Valentine's Day.  Sure it's cute for the kids but isn't it nicer to feel loved or let someone know they're special when the world of retail isn't telling you to?  Do I think my husband doesn't care because he doesn't spend a bunch of money on flowers or gifts with hearts on them?  No.  I know he loves me when he goes out in his jammies when its freezing cold out to start my car in the morning.  Or when he brings me a heated bean bag when I'm in bed and can't get my feet warm.  A Fiesta Salad with black beans from Alto Cinco and a cold IPA on a random week night in the summer?  Now that, my friends, is love.

Enough about Valentine's Day, you need this recipe for Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese.  This is adapted from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Cookbook.  Not only is this really delicious, it is easy, quick and you even get to sneak some veg in.  I will admit, I had never eaten cauliflower before I discovered this recipe a couple of years ago.  It seems I always encountered it in its raw form which I do still find unappealing.  Its so white, and fake looking.  As it turns out it really is good for your cardio-vascular system and after that sprint up three flights of stairs to make it to work on time today, I say bring it!
I think this has got to be one of the healthier versions of Mac & Cheese, aside from the fact that it has cauliflower in it.  There is no cream, milk or heavy flour cheese sauce involved.  I think mine is a little lighter than Jamie's version (I use lite sour cream instead of creme fraiche or full fat sour cream).  I estimate it to be about 430 calories per serving. So here's how it's done:

If you have children, they can do most of the work.  See, how easy is that?

***Check out new blog posts at Wholly Healthy Life****

Cauliflower Mac & Cheese (adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe)

1/2 head of cauliflower
8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
4 oz Parmesan cheese shredded
a small bunch of fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic
1 lb dried macaroni (elbows)
1 cup sour cream
sea salt

While bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil, remove leaves from a head of cauliflower and slice off the end of the stalk.  Cut the head into small florets and thinly slice the stalks.  Shred cheeses, chop parsley and mince garlic.  I like to mash the parsley and garlic together with a pinch of salt.  (I love an excuse to use my mortar and pestle but this is not required.)


Add pasta and cauliflower to the boiling water and cook according to pasta directions (9 min).  Meanwhile, add the cheeses and sour cream to a med sauce pan over med-low heat and stir until melted.  When the cheese is melted add the parsley and garlic "paste" and stir until combined. When pasta is done, drain well and add the cheese sauce.  You can eat it as is or we like to transfer it to a baking pan and put it in the oven under the broiler for a couple of minutes until lightly browned.

Now, look how much is on each plate and the pan is still more than half full! In Jamie's cookbook he says it serves 4-6 but I think 6-8 is more like it.  Especially when there's salad involved (which of course I do recommend!).  We just love this dinner and I hope you do to.  It may even move you to do The Robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment