Thursday, May 9, 2013

Snick Snack Paddy Whack

Hi guys! I was ranting the other day about how busy the weeks are lately and thought I might share my favorite snack recipe for you to have on hand.  It's so easy to grab things that are processed and full of fat or sugar when you need a little something to keep you moving or to hold you over until the next meal.  Ina Garten's  Hummus recipe takes about 15 min (she says 10 but I think that may be a little exaggerated) to make, its healthy and really yummy.
Drain two cans of chick peas (or garbanzo beans which ever name you prefer) saving about 2 Tablespoons of the liquid from the can.  You only need two cups of chick peas so throw the rest in the fridge to eat on your salads.
Grab some lemons...
squeeze their guts out...I swear these were the two seediest lemons I have ever seen.  Made me take a little more than 15 min to make this because I had to pick all those seeds out!
Get yourself a jar of tahini, which is basically sesame seed paste.  You can get quite a few batches of hummus from one jar.
You only need 1/3 of a cup.  Looks kind of like peanut butter eh?
Toss it all in the food processor (I'm thinking a blender will work just fine if you don't have a processor) with some garlic, salt, liquid from the can and a few dashes of hot sauce.
These are my faves.  I'm into the RedHot a little more at the moment but use what you like.
Pulse until smooth.  You can always add a little more of the liquid from the can if you wish to thin it out a bit more.  It's all a matter of preference.
I packed two containers with it.  The round one is a little bigger and goes in the fridge for immediate use.
The square one goes in the freezer for when we run out.
I love me some Wasa and Hummus.  Mmmm, fiber.  Its also great with some carrot sticks or cucumber slices.  4 tablespoons comes in at about 95 calories (say 100 in case my math was off).  I love the stuff, it's lemony, salty with a spicy after thought (I use a little more hot sauce than the recipe advises).  When you pair it with the Wasa or Wasa light, it totally satisfies that need for something crunchy and snacky (as is usually my type of craving).  Check out the recipe on the Food Network website and enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment